What do you know about Umar Ibn al-Khattab (radiAllahu anhu)?
|Posted by thmsadaqagroup on June 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM|
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
Assalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuh
Studying the Biographies of the Companions
It is necessary for the students to have knowledge about the Prophet of Islaam, Muhammad Ibn Abdullah (sallaAllahu alaihi wa Salaam) and about the Sahabah (radiAllahu anhum). To help us achieve this goal, we use as main resources the Noble Quran, Ahaadith, and follow the advice of the scholars in general and more specifically from Dr. Salah as Saleh (rahimahullah ta`ala).
We begin with a question inshaAllah: What do you know about Umar Ibn al-Khattab (radiAllahu anhu)? Can you name some of the tremendous qualities associated with his characteristics? What have you learned about his family members (wives, children, etc.)?
For teachers to have a guideline use the following link below:
Text Used: Biographies from the Short Biography of the Prophet (sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallaam) and His Ten Companions written by Shaykh Maqdisi (rahimahullah)
His full name and Lineage, Kunyah:
Umar Ibn al-Khattab Ibn Nufail bin Abdul-Uzzah bin Riyah bin Abdullah bin Qarut bin Razaah bin Adi bin Ka`ab bin Luai bin Ghalib al-Qurashee al-Udwee*. His lineage meets the Prophet’s at Ka`ab bin Luai Ibn Ghaalib (their common grandfather). His kunyah was Abu Hafs. He was also known as al-Faarooq “to be the distinguishing mark between two or more things…(meaning “made clear the distinction between disbelief and faith.”)
His mother was Hantamah bint Hashim. They say her father was Hisham bin Al-Mughirah bin Abdullah bin Umar bin Makhzum. He accepted Islam in Makkah and both of them had the distinction of witnessing all the battles with the Messenger of Allah (sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallaam).
Abu `Abdur-Rahman (Having the name Abdullah) accepted Islam early and migrated with his father to Al-Madinah. He was known as one of the prominent Companions of the Messenger of Allah (sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallam)
Hafsah, (the daughter of Umar), the wife of the Prophet (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallaam). Her mother was Zainab bint Maz`un- the sister of Abdullah, the brother of Rasulullah (sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallaam) in breastfeeding.
Aasim bin Umar was born during the lifetime of the Prophet (sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallaam). His mother was Umm Aasim Jamilah bint Thabit bin Abul Aqlah.
Zaid-ul-Akbar (the older) and Ruqayyah, were both the children of Umm Kulthum bint Ali bin Abu Talib.
Zaid asfram (the younger) and Ubaidullah were the children of Umm Kulthum bint Jarwal Al-Khuza`iyah.
Abdur Rahman (the older), Abdur-Rahman the middle, called Abu Shahmah, was lashed for drinking wine. His mother was the freed slave named Lihayyah. She was called Ummu Walid because she had a child which freed her.
Abdur Rahman the youngest, was also the son of a freed female slave, her name was Fakihah.
Iyad bin Umar, whose mother was Aatikah bint Zaid bin bin Amr bin Nufail.
Abdullah the youngest was the son of Sa`idah bint Rafi Al-Ansari, from the tribe of Amr bin Awf.
Fatimah bint Umar. Her mother was Umm Hakim bint Al-Harith bin Hisham.
Ummul-Walid bint Umar, about whom there is speculation about her existence. Some doubt whether there was a daughter of Umar (radiAllahu anhu) known as Ummul-Walid or it is the nickname of Fatimah.
Zainab bint Umar who was the sister of the younger Abdur-Rahman.
Umar (radi Allahu anhu) remained caliph for ten years and six-and a half months. He was killed at the end of Dhul-Hijjah 23 AH, at the age of 63, the same age as the Messenger of Allah (sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallaam), and his friend Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (radi Allahu anhum)
from A Sword for Islam
The Second Caliph of Islam: ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattab:
Questionnaire 1: after reading pgs. 4-13
1. What is the difference between “brother” and “companions” according to the words of our beloved Prophet (salla Allahu alaihi wa salaam)?
2. What three (3) things qualified the companions to have seniority in Islam?
3. Please write out the hadith of the Prophet (salla Allahu alaihi wa salaam) that tells us about who the best of the people were?
4. Some people ignorantly criticize the companions of the Prophet (salla Allahu alaihi wa salaam); what did the Prophet (salla Allahu alaihi wa salaam) say in regards to this?
5. Umar al-Khattab’s father was the chief of what clan from the tribe of Quraish?
6. There are two permissible sports mention within the text; name them?
7. Who is the author of the “Golden Series of the Prophet’s Companions”, Books? Who is the translator? What is the name of the 2nd authentic text used for biographical information about Umar (radiAllahu anhu)? Who is the author? Translator?
8. Apply the 4R’s [read, remember, recite, & reflect] to the ayat 33:23; Give a point of benefit mentioned in the tafsir regarding this ayat.
9. Among the most beneficial of qualities that Umar was known for which one stands out the most for you? Explain.
10. Who are the two editors for “The Golden Series of the Prophet’s Companions?”
NOTE: Change in the criteria
Activities for this lesson: place words and word phrases in alphabetical order, define words and word phrases, write one or two paragraphs using some or all of the vocabulary words; then list at least 3 benefits gained from the reading inshaAllah. Students in grades 4 down/to Kindergarten are to write a sentence for these words (with help from their parents if needed).
Self – denial
Dar Al Arqam
Points/Rewards: 4 (1 point per section completed)
You may submit your assignments in the box below once per assignment. Should you need to submit additional assignments we suggest you do so through email inshaAllah. Watch this page for additional Biographies of Companions, questions, and activities. Jazaakumullahu Khayraa